Friday, June 20, 2008

Three Amsterdam Observations

June 20
  • The police patrol in pairs on bicycles, without helmets, bare-headed. Once I saw a mounted patrol, both women -- they were wearing helmets (and I'd want to also, if I were to fall of a horse).

  • The Euro Cup is happening, so many places are festooned with the Dutch national color of orange, and soccer balls, amnd the legend "Hup Holland!" Their big game is tomorrow, with Russia, but I'll be gone by then, and Germany's big moment was last night, when people were staring intently at TV screens everywhere.

  • They have an outdoor used book market at that little Spui Plein maybe every Friday, at that new location of the American Book Centre, with many great used English titles available. In fact, I visited about a dozen bookstores yesterday, most of which have their English section conveniently located right by the door.

No comments: